Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Boss OC-2 Synth mod

...so I seen this video on HC the other day,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5SKmEOZeI

and remembered that my flatmate/bandmate Jimmy had one
around somewhere that he absolutely hated!
so it didn't take long to convince him to let me fire up the Soldering iron...

as mods go it's quite easy.six lengths of wire & a double pole switch are all you need
(and by pure luck Melx had kindly sent me the very switch I needed last week)

as this is the older Japanese one,finding a spot for the switch is a little tricky
but it's not impossible
this location seemed the easiest to get to 
 


So the Result?




Sonically it's pretty good actually!!!

sort of like a cross between a NES & a Fuzz Factory
He likes it,and it looks like it will go back on his board!

So I'm happy,I got some experience and he gets use of a pedal that was destined to be banished to the attic and after all isn't that what this place is all about? 

Thanks to Sean/Noisedom for the mod!

6 comments:

  1. wicked, glad you could make use of the switch.. you should thank kev really as he gave me a few, so I thought I'd pass one on. :)

    my blog is starting to look like a forum so I thought I'd come over here for a bit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...video sounded cool... that has to be the oddest looking phillips screwdriver I've ever seen in my life, I was sat there 'thinking what the hell is that' ..... I guess the bloke doesn't like his woman very much.. he keeps saying 'sod her' all the time. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah septics can't seem to figure out that L! :P
    indeed your blog is coming along nicely!

    I'll have to start getting vids up,for some reason my
    camera will only do 10 sec clips at the moment
    firmware issue I think!

    While your hangin out I may as well ask
    what where the transistors you sent me with
    the Bazz,the black ones with no markings?
    Is the pin out the same on those?
    Might try to change up the one I built a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the old round looking ones? those are NOS ME4003 NPN ... I'm not sure about pinouts (I never am) they work one way and not the other!! (but you won't need to cross the legs or anything) so they are either EBC or CBE... so it's just a case of turning it around if it doesn't work.

    Neoflox loves those transistors, he uses them in everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's a bummer about the camera... could you use a webcam or something? (if you have one) I need to try and do a video for this treble booster, but at the moment I have electrical and guitar stuff all over our living room that I need to get tidied up before Cassie gets in for lunch ... or she'll be sending me to do her job this afternoon! .. I best get on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool I'm going to give those a try...

    yeah bummer with the camera alright,
    I've been researching it and I think I can download a fix if I can find the bloody disk off the camera!

    ...Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete